International BAföG/Federal Grants for Studying Abroad

Under certain circumstances, it is possible to get financial support for a study or an internship abroad under the BAföG Act (a federal grant) even if students have not yet received BAföG funding for their studies in Germany. This option is justified by the increased living expenses that occur during a stay abroad.

Students receiving domestic federal funds are not automatically entitled to international federal funding. A special application must be submitted for this.

Each country of destination has a specified office responsible for funding. The appropriate applications must be submitted there. Applications must be submitted at least six months prior to the start of the planned stay abroad.

Further information