Advice and Possibilities for Financial Support

Find funding options for a stay abroad

Practical Advice and Organisational Topics

Your first address when looking for accommodation is the host university or institution where your internship is to take place. Some foreign universities arrange for accommodation in a residence hall directly with the confirmation of study placement. This is, however, not always the case. In the event that the host university or host institution does not arrange for accommodation, they often have information regarding looking for apartments when you arrive, or they can provide you with contacts.

    Within the European Economic Area (EEA), in the event of illness, persons having statutory health insurance shall receive benefits in kind according to the provisions of the foreign health insurance carrier, e. g., necessary medical treatment. As a rule, health insurance coverage in those countries is guaranteed to the same extent as if one were insured there. Statutory health insurance providers issue an insurance certificate which guarantees insurance coverage in other European countries (in particular the EHIC - European Health Insurance Card which is, as a rule, equivalent to the normal health insurance card). In any case, students should obtain detailed information from their respective health insurance companies before their stay abroad; this applies especially to private health insurance. Health insurance coverage is not a given fact outside the EEA. Health insurance coverage can be taken out through DAAD among others.

      Within the EU, citizens of member states do not need entry visas. It may be necessary to report to local authorities after entering the country.

      Information about visa and entry provisions for countries outside of the European Union can be found here.